As our parent college in Manchester rebrand to Spirit Studios, we at SSR London diverge to pioneer a radical new approach to music and sound training.
In response to the challenges faced by people studying and working in music and sound in London, we are taking steps to develop a more holistic approach to vocational learning. Our flagship Industry Diploma courses are now available in an intensive three-month (two days per week) format allowing students to undertake world-class technical training and develop core skills quickly and affordably.
In addition, we are also delighted to present our new Graduate Support Programme – a unique mentoring and support scheme for all graduates which, alongside career guidance with a dedicated coordinator, offers opportunities to earn while you study at the SSR studios and through work placements.
We are committed to supporting talented people – our studios are now available commercially to emerging artists, providing the opportunity to work in an exceptional recording environment at accessible rates. Meanwhile the students get the experience of working on commercial sessions. We also currently have 2 scholarship students, placed through The Roundhouse Young Creatives scheme, and are seeking more partners to work with.
The existing Industry Diplomas have been updated: Fundamentals of Studio Production, Post Production Sound for Film, Game and TV and Advanced Studio Production and Mastering. There is also a new course – Contemporary Music Production that focuses on in-the-box music production, composition and sound design with Logic, Ableton Live and Maschine. The class sizes are small (10 max) giving SSR a friendly, family atmosphere that feels as much like working in a boutique recording studio as it does attending a college.
We will continue to be one of the sole educational facilities that offers Avid Certified Pro Tools Training to expert level in the UK.
In addition to the Industry Diplomas, a new range of introductory Weekend Courses have also been created at entry level which include Introduction to Ableton Live and Push, Introduction to Native Instruments Maschine, Introduction to Sound Design with Games and Music Business: Release your own Music.
Tony Garston, Head of Operations, says of the plans: “SSR London has long been associated with quality training in the sound industry, we have looked at our strengths and what we believe will be most beneficial to anybody wanting to forge a career in this exciting ever-changing industry in order to provide the best solutions in the form of our new and established courses.”
Recent graduates currently work at: Grand Cru Studios, Britannia Row, Wendyhouse, GPS Soho, Side Audio, Sony Games and the Audio Engineering Society; with artists such as Westlife, Stormzy, Louis Tomlinson, Olly Murs, Lil Simz, Avelino, Lily Allen, Friendly Fires, !!! and Octavian; and some are Native Instrument and Ableton specialists and certified trainers. Many have gone on to setup their own successful audio and music businesses.
Recent guest lecturers include: Ben UFO, Dean Barratt (Dairy Studios), Breakage, Midland, Seamus Haji, Si Medway Smith, Famous Eno, Goetz Botzenhardt, Dov Waterman and Jamz Supernova.
Full course list
Industry Diploma Courses:
– Fundamentals of Studio Production
– Contemporary Music Production
– Post Production Sound for Film, Game and TV
– Advanced Studio Production & Mastering
– Introduction to Ableton Live and Push
– Introduction to Native Instruments Maschine
– Introduction to Sound Design for Games
– Music Business: Release your own Music
Avid Pro Tools Training:
– Pro Tools 101: Introduction to Pro Tools
– Pro Tools 110: Essentials of Pro Tools
– Pro Tools 201: Pro Tools Production
– Pro Tools 210M: Music Production Techniques
– Pro Tools 210P: Post Production Techniques
– Pro Tools 310M: Advanced Post Production Techniques
– Pro Tools 310 P: Advanced Post Production Techniques
– Pro Tools 310S6: Advanced Pro Tools | S6 Mixing Workflows
Studio hire & services (commercial / non-student rates):
– Ghost Studio (+ live room): hourly rate: £24, full day: £200
– S6 Studio (+ live room): Hourly rate: £36, full day: £300
– Neve Studio (+ Neve and/or S6 live room): Hourly rate: £36, full day: £300
– Recording Engineer: hourly rate £15, full day: £120
– Ghost Studio, S6 Studio, Neve Studio, Mac Suites 1-2: Depends on project.
– Ghost Studio, S6 Studio, Neve Studio: Depends on project.
– Sound design: Depends on project.
– 5.1 Surround Sound & Stereo mixing: Depends on project.
– Rehearsal room: – Empty Room: £8.33/h – PA + Drums (inclusive of breakables): £12.50/h – Recording setup (Interface + Laptop): £12.50/h – DJ Room: £8.33/h
– Ghost Studio (no live room): Hourly rate: £20 Full day: £150
All rates quoted exclude VAT (20%). Full day fares are based on a ten (10) hour session.
More information on our studios can be found here.